Sunday, June 21, 2015

HOW "CHECK YOUR TECH 2 RECONNECT" WAS BORN: BY RON ROECKER

I'm not sure if it was the silent car ride with my four teenage nieces and nephews, the car full of guys that pulled up next to me the other day at a stoplight, the conference on technology, going to the premier of my girlfriends' musical "MotherFreaking Hood: The Musical" (welcome for the plug) or the birthday lunch that I attended with 5 other close friends that finally made me snap.  But I believe it's been building up...

The car ride which usually would have been non-stop drama and bickering was silent because everyone was texting, the car full of guys weren't playing music but all on their mobiles or with their headphones on (6 of them), a speaker at the conference on technology asked me if I thought it was a good sign that everyone was on their mobile during his presentation, at intermission, no one went out to smoke but everyone stepped out to check emails, and at one point during the bday lunch, I realized I forgot to order the bday dessert and so I Googled the restaurant that we all currently were in to see if I could order it online and have it delivered to our table...

It has to stop.  We think we are so connected because we've friended our 3rd grade girlfriend who we haven't spoken to since she broke up after 3 glorious days.  Because we post and comment and like and give thumbs up, we all think we're up to date on the people that we care about most and it simply isn't true.  (Do you really think I would ever post anything that wasn't absolutely fabulous about my life because, of course, everything in my life is absolutely fabulous!)

So, I want to start a social media/technology counter attack...one in which everyone commits to proactively coordinating one gathering -- it can be lunch or drinks after work or a hike or a fancy dinner party or a blow out party (just has to have at least two people attend).  And that gathering is designated as a Check Your Tech 2 Reconnect tech-free hour or two or four.  If you don't leave your tech at home then it all gets checked at the door when you first arrive.  (Of course, don't panic parents, the host always gives a contact number to everyone that is for babysitters, etc. just in case there is an emergency...but the host will not give you the wifi password!)

It's certainly hard to argue when we spend 7 hours a day on social media...

I think we all could handle an hour or two without our mobile running our lives and possessing our souls...

I hope you commit to this.  And if you do, please send me photos of your events and we'll post them here or on Facebook....show the world that we actually survived and we have better friendships and relationships to prove it!

Cheers!!
Ron

No comments:

Post a Comment